Lead Software Engineer - Back end - CPE Integrations
FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands and products that deliver sports betting, gaming and entertainment to millions of US sports fans every day. That’s no easy task, and wouldn't be possible without a fantastic team who have helped us pioneer new products and innovative features that make us a leader in the industry. Whether you’re looking for better career progression, improved financial security or just a better sense of belonging, we believe we’ve created a culture in which everyone can succeed, no matter how you got here.
CPE Enablement (API) are working to improve engineering delivery across FanDuel by increasing velocity and removing undifferentiated heavy lifting from product engineering teams. To do this we are delivering solutions that enable teams to expose services in line with our API First strategy.
As a technical leader on the API Enablement team, you work to deliver the right solutions with limited guidance. Your work will focus on understanding common problems and identifying solutions that provide tooling and guidance to other teams to solve those problems without rework while working according to FanDuel’s best practices. Within the team, you will be able to work with your team mates, identifying, prioritizing, splitting, organizing and reporting on work in a way that ensures successful delivery, doing whatever is needed to get the solutions into the hands of your colleagues. You will also focus on championing those solutions throughout the wider engineering organisation, showing best practices and giving guidance by speaking in company wide Town Halls or doing demos and workshops with other teams. Once those solutions are agreed you’ll be able to influence and organise work across teams to ensure successful adoption.
You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices through coaching and mentoring. You ensure your team is stronger because of your presence, but does not require your presence to be successful. You work with peers outside the team to ensure you are abreast of other technical challenges in the company so that you can identify how to assist them better.
What We’re Looking For
- Formal education in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstratable understanding of modern architectures, design patterns, and platform nuances.
- Good grasp on relational, non-relational databases, messaging queues and handling concurrency
- Hands on experience working with AWS infrastructure other associated technologies (eg Terraform).
- Hands on experience of container orchestration with Kubernetes
- Hands on experience with continually delivering secure, highly scalable, fault tolerant and always available backend systems & APIs using Java
- Experience implementing API Gateway standards across teams
- Experience Championing best practices throughout an organization
What You Can Expect
- Interesting work - working in a fast-paced and ever-changing industry, new problems and exciting solutions are never too far away. There are always opportunities to learn new skills and broaden your horizons
- A sense of achievement - Our teams own their own software and when that awesome new feature ships to users and the positive feedback starts rolling in, you can feel really proud of what you and your team created
- Personal development - clear and defined career pathways for every role at every level, a supportive manager, loads of learning opportunities and even 10% of your time to dedicate to your learning.
- Belonging - everyone at FanDuel works for each other, we win together, make mistakes together and have lots of fun doing it.
- Trust - A trusting work environment where productivity is valued above all else, giving you autonomy and ownership of your time and work
- Great financial package - Including salary, bonus, pension, private healthcare, share save scheme, flexible working & holiday policy along with a number of other benefits.
The Interview Process
- Initial Recruiter Screen (20-30 minutes)
- Technical Task + Hiring Manager Interview (1 hour 45 minutes)
- Final Stage Interviews with various team members (circa. 3 hours)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgement or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable and you are in the ballpark experience-wise, we'd love to speak to you!
Location: Our Scottish tech hub is based in central Edinburgh and is fitted with fabulous amenities including a Gym, showers, bike parking, gaming pods, multiple breakout areas, meeting rooms, a roof terrace and much more. We operate a hybrid model for the majority of our roles, where team members come together at the hub as required.
Applicants should be willing to travel to our Edinburgh Tech Hub from time to time.