Lead Software Engineer
ABOUT FANDUEL GROUP
There are more ways to win, here at FanDuel. We’re willing to bet on it.
At FanDuel Group, we give fans a new and innovative way to interact with their favorite games, sports and teams. We’re dedicated to building a winning team and we pride ourselves on being able to make every moment mean more, especially when it comes to your career. So, what does “winning” look like at FanDuel? It’s recognition for your hard-earned results, a culture that brings out your best work—and a roster full of talented coworkers. Make no mistake, we are here to win, but we believe in winning right. That means we’ll never compromise when it comes to looking out for our teammates. From creatives professionals to cutting edge technology innovators, FanDuel offers a wide range of career opportunities, best in class benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. At FanDuel, our principle of “We Are One Team” runs through all our offices across the globe, and you can expect to be a part of an exciting company with many opportunities to grow and be successful.
WHO WE ARE…
FanDuel Group is an innovative sports-tech entertainment company that is changing the way consumers engage with their favorite sports, teams, and leagues. The premier mobile gaming destination in the United States, FanDuel Group consists of a portfolio of leading brands across sports betting, iGaming, horse racing, advance-deposit wagering, daily fantasy sports. In addition, FanDuel Group operates FanDuel TV its broadly distributed linear cable television and leading direct-to-consumer OTT platform. FanDuel Group has a presence across all 50 states with approximately 17 million customers and 25 retail locations. The company is based in New York with offices in Los Angeles, Atlanta and Jersey City, as well as in Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Portugal, Romania and Australia. FanDuel Group is a subsidiary of Flutter Entertainment plc, (LON: FLTR) the world's largest sports betting and gaming operator with a portfolio of globally recognized brands.
Our roster has an opening with your name on it
We’re looking for passionate technologists, strong communicators and those with a commitment to continuous improvement. The ideal candidate will have the confidence to propose pragmatic solutions to complex problems and be eager to learn from and educate others. As a Lead Software Engineer, you will work in empowered, multidisciplinary teams, autonomously tackling complex challenges that provide the very best experiences and products for a growing community of millions of players.
You use technology to solve straightforward problems, seeking input and guidance from team members. You may create or have responsibility to improve or invent small tools or applications. You can take defined design and turn it into code and deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and current software engineering best practices. You write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects. You are proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms, knowing when it is appropriate to use them and when it is not. You make appropriate implementation trade-off decisions. You participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions. You seek to learn the business context and technologies behind your team's software. You work effectively other team members & identify any opportunities/problems arising from technical decisions. You invent, refine and develop your solutions to ensure they are meeting customer needs and team goals. You are a passionate advocate for your customer.
Our Compliance team's mission is to create a best in class regulatory experience for our customers. We do this by working with internal stakeholders and our Regulatory Partners to build scalable, flexible solutions to satisfy regulatory requirements in jurisdictions across the US and Canada. We strive to build internal tools that have clear contracts and are easy to integrate with to enable teams across Fanduel’s portfolio.
THE GAME PLAN
Everyone on our team has a part to play
- You take ownership of team architecture, providing a system-wide view and design guidance
- You write simple and extendable code following standards and best practices. You test your code thoroughly.
- Drive engineering engagement best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards
- Work to resolve the root cause of endemic problems including areas where your team limits the innovation of other teams (bottlenecks). This may require you to influence software decisions made by other teams
- When confronted with discordant views, you can find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path
- Actively help others leverage your expertise through coaching and mentoring
- You understand proper data storage, classification, optimization techniques
- You understand the maintenance characteristics, run-time properties, and dependencies or your team's software, including hardware platform, operating system and build dependencies.
- Contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices
- You clearly document your software to ensure that future generations of developers understand the intention behind the features and components you build.
- In the event of a problem, you can troubleshoot and thoroughly resolve defects.
- Ensure your team is stronger because of your presence but does not require your presence to be successful
- You provide excellent customer support.
- You participate in the interview process and help your team train SE interns.
- You will keep yourself up to date with market standards, open-source frameworks.
- Most importantly, be humble, pragmatic, self-managed, thirsty for knowledge, never satisfied and always challenging the norm.
What we're looking for in our next teammate
- Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience and passion for writing highly scalable, fault tolerant and always available backend systems & APIs using Java or similar Functional/Object-Oriented programming languages
- Good grasp on relational, non-relational databases, messaging queues and handling concurrency
- Understanding of modern architectures, design patterns, and platform nuances
- Knowledge of release process best practices for APIs and services within production systems
- Experience working with cloud-based infrastructure and technologies, preferably AWS.
- Understating of containers (e.g. Docker), and orchestration (Kubernetes).
- Expert experience with testing concepts, test tools, and integrating testing and best practices in the SDLC
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Familiarity working in an Agile environment
- Passion for working within a fast-paced environment and can adapt to change
We treat our team right
From our many opportunities for professional development to our generous insurance and paid leave policies, we’re committed to making sure our employees get as much out of FanDuel as we ask them to give. Competitive compensation is just the beginning. As part of our team, you can expect:
- An exciting and fun environment committed to driving real growth
- Opportunities to build really cool products that fans love
- Mentorship and professional development resources to help you refine your game
- Flexible vacation allowance to let you refuel
- Hall of Fame benefit programs and platforms
FanDuel Group is an equal opportunities employer and we believe, as one of our principal states, “We Are One Team!” We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status. We believe FanDuel is strongest and best able to compete if all employees feel valued, respected, and included. We want our team to include diverse individuals because diversity of thought, diversity of perspectives, and diversity of experiences leads to better performance. Having a diverse and inclusive workforce is a core value that we believe makes our company stronger and more competitive as One Team!