Senior Technical Program Manager - Core Products & Experiences (CPE)
FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands and products that deliver sports betting, gaming and entertainment to millions of US sports fans every day. That’s no easy task, and wouldn't be possible without a fantastic team who have helped us pioneer new products and innovative features that make us a leader in the industry. Whether you’re looking for better career progression, improved financial security or just a better sense of belonging, we believe we’ve created a culture in which everyone can succeed, no matter how you got here.
The purpose of the TPM role is to own the delivery of critical technical programs that improve our product, architecture, and delivery model. We are not simply facilitators. We bring our technical depth to bear, helping to define complex solutions across multiple verticals, leading the technical trade-off discussions, owning the plan, and being the single accountable owner for its successful delivery. When not driving these complex programs, we are championing Delivery Excellence, using empirical data to help teams identify and implement areas of improvement.
In this role, you will be a leader in the Engineering organization and the owner of a complex technical program. Your focus will be on successfully delivering improvements to an existing technology platform, working to achieve a defined program’s goals, working across multiple teams within an Engineering vertical, and driving collaboration with other verticals and domains. You will work independently, while being supported and guided by your peers, to achieve successful outcomes. You’ll need to understand the consequences of technical decisions in the larger business context. You will be a subject matter expert for this program, partnering with product, commercial, and engineering to ensure we balance customer experience (quality, depth of features, etc.) with speed of delivery. You’ll work diligently to meet timelines, mitigate risks, and use data to drive your decisions. You’ll make sure you get the right input from Senior Engineers to make the right decisions.
We work in an Agile environment and while we recognize that not all programs are suited to an Agile approach, we design them in a way that empowers the teams and leverages the benefits of Agile.
- Own the delivery of technical programs with impact across the engineering vertical, domain or organisation.
- Demonstrate intense ownership for your program, stepping in to own and resolve risks & issues before they impact the program.
- Pro-actively identify and highlight dependencies between teams, ensuring that these are either removed or managed,
- Maintain a humble plan that reflects reality and aligns teams and stakeholders on the program direction.
- Use your engineering know-how, working with Sr. Engineers to identify architectural weakness and pressure-test solutions.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and single point of contact for the program. Grow into your role and be willing to learn.
- Negotiate for resources and priorities using data to influence decisions.
- Balance trade-off decisions between short-term and long-term needs, taking into consideration both customer outcomes and technical strategy.
- Gather empirical data to identify and implement opportunities to improve how we deliver.
- Actively mentor other TPMs and engineers.
- Establish valuable delivery insights and metrics which teams can use to drive continuous improvement.
- Actively coach Engineering Managers and Product Managers on delivery techniques
- Provide input to longer-term planning activities at vertical and domain level.
What We’re Looking For
- 3+ years of Technical Program Management experience. Alternatively, Program Manager, Software Engineering Manager or Scrum Master experience working closely with Engineering teams.
- Proven track record of ownership of software engineering programs.
- Deep understanding and experience of working in and with Agile teams.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills.
- Experience in the software engineering field with an understanding of how to leverage processes to deliver more effectively.
- Ability to understand architectural concepts such as scaling, robustness, etc.
- A pragmatic approach that focuses on the customer and program outcomes over rigid process.
What You Can Expect
- Interesting work - working in a fast-paced and ever-changing industry, new problems and exciting solutions are never too far away. There are always opportunities to learn new skills and broaden your horizons
- A sense of achievement - Our teams own their own software and when that awesome new feature ships to users and the positive feedback starts rolling in, you can feel really proud of what you and your team created
- Personal development - clear and defined career pathways for every role at every level, a supportive manager, loads of learning opportunities and even 10% of your time to dedicate to your learning.
- Belonging - everyone at FanDuel works for each other, we win together, make mistakes together and have lots of fun doing it.
- Trust - A trusting work environment where productivity is valued above all else, giving you autonomy and ownership of your time and work
- Great financial package - Including salary, bonus, pension, private healthcare, share save scheme, flexible working & holiday policy along with a number of other benefits.
The Interview Process
- Recruiter screen call (30 minutes)
- Hiring Manager interview (1 hour)
- Competency based interview (2 hours)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgement or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable and you are in the ballpark experience-wise, we'd love to speak to you!
PLEASE NOTE: This is a hybrid role. The successful post-holder should be willing to travel to our Edinburgh Tech Hub up to twice a week. Our office location is EH3 9FQ - Welcome to Edinburgh | FanDuel Careers
Location: Our Scottish tech hub is fitted with fabulous amenities including a gym, showers, bike parking, gaming pods, multiple breakout areas, meeting rooms, a roof terrace and much more.