Lead Software Engineer - Sportsbook Retail
FanDuel Group (“FanDuel") is an innovative sports-tech entertainment company that is changing the way consumers engage with their favorite sports, teams, and leagues. The premier gaming destination in the United States, FanDuel consists of a portfolio of leading brands across gaming, sports betting, daily fantasy sports, advance-deposit wagering, and TV/media.
FanDuel has a presence across all 50 states with approximately 17 million customers and 28 retail locations. FanDuel is based in New York with offices in New Jersey, Georgia, California, Oregon, Canada and Scotland.
Its networks FanDuel TV and FanDuel+ are broadly distributed on linear cable television and through its relationships with leading direct-to-consumer over-the-top platforms.
FanDuel is a subsidiary of Flutter Entertainment plc, the world's largest sports betting and gaming operator with a portfolio of globally recognized brands and a constituent of the FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange.
At FanDuel, we give fans a new and innovative way to interact with their favorite games, sports and teams. We’re dedicated to building a winning team and we pride ourselves on being able to make every moment mean more, especially when it comes to your career. So, what does “winning” look like at FanDuel? It’s recognition for your hard-earned results, a culture that brings out your best work—and a roster full of talented coworkers. Make no mistake, we are here to win, but we believe in winning right. That means we’ll never compromise when it comes to looking out for our teammates. From creatives professionals to cutting edge technology innovators, FanDuel offers a wide range of career opportunities, best in class benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. At FanDuel, our principle of “We Are One Team” runs through all our offices across the globe, and you can expect to be a part of an exciting company with many opportunities to grow and be successful.
Our roster has an opening with your name on it
We’re looking for passionate & experienced technologists, strong communicators, and those with a commitment to continuous improvement. The ideal candidate will have the confidence to propose pragmatic solutions to complex problems and be eager to learn from and educate others. As a Lead Software Engineer working for our Flywheel Engineering team, you will work in empowered, multidisciplinary teams, autonomously tackling complex challenges that provide the very best experiences and products as we continue to build upon our exciting and innovative customer experience within the fast paced and growing Sportsbook Retail environment among other Flywheel projects. You will own and become subject matter experts of areas of product and technology stack and will be the go-to person for those areas. You are considered a technical leader on your team. You work efficiently and routinely deliver the right things with limited guidance. Your work focuses on complex, ambiguous problem areas in existing or new software initiatives. You take the long-term view. You consider where each system is at in its life cycle and where appropriate, proactively fix architecture deficiencies. You can take the lead on new initiatives and large projects that require the work of your team. You know how to divide a software project into parallel work that can be performed by you and other software engineers and then reassembled successfully into a cohesive launch. You enjoy coaching and developing other software engineers' technical skills.
THE GAME PLAN
Everyone on our team has a part to play
- You take ownership of team architecture, providing a system-wide view and design guidance.
- You make things simpler.
- Write simple, exemplary code that motivates team write quality code & following best standards.
- Drive engineering engagement best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards.
- Work to resolve the root cause of endemic problems including areas where your team limits the innovation of other teams (bottlenecks). This may require you to influence software decisions made by other teams.
- When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path (build consensus).
- Actively recruit and help others leverage your expertise, by coaching and mentoring in your organization (or at your location).
- Provide technical assessments for promotion to Sr. SE & Lead SE.
- Contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices.
- Ensure your team is stronger because of your presence but does not require your presence to be successful.
- On-call rotation where required. You provide excellent customer support.
- Most importantly, you are humble, pragmatic, self-managed, thirsty for knowledge, never satisfied and always challenging the norm. You’re responsible for the state of the code you both inherit and produce.
What we’re looking for in our next teammate
- Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5 or more years of Software Development, including but not limited to:
- Back-end: Writing distributed, highly scalable, and available backend systems & APIs using Java and Spring.
- Proficient working with relational, non-relational databases, messaging queues and concurrency.
- Experience with streaming technologies such as Kafka.
- Experience working with SQL databases.
- A fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Understanding of modern architectures, design patterns, and platform nuances
- Proficient in working with GitOps Patterns
- Experience working with CI/CD pipeline tooling, preferably BuildKite.
- Experience working with cloud-based infrastructure and technologies, preferably AWS.
- Knowledge of AWS with API gateway/workflow orchestration/lambda/serverless applications.
- Knowledge of infrastructure as code, preferably Terraform and AWS CloudFormation.
- Familiarity with git, GitLab, JIRA, Confluence, and OpenAPI (API documentation).
- Proficiency in translating requirements into design and developing applications.
- Understanding of containers (e.g. Docker), and orchestration (Kubernetes).
- Demonstrated abilities driving operational excellence and best practices.
- Experience in shipping high-quality products and services within Web and Mobile
- Experience with multiple testing concepts, testing tools (preferably Postman), and integrating testing and best-quality practices into an SDLC.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- You’re passionate about the fast-paced, innovative, and growing Sports Betting industry.
We treat our team right
From our many opportunities for professional development to our generous insurance and paid leave policies, we’re committed to making sure our employees get as much out of FanDuel as we ask them to give. Competitive compensation is just the beginning. As part of our team, you can expect:
- An exciting and fun environment committed to driving real growth
- Opportunities to build really cool products that fans love
- Mentorship and professional development resources to help you refine your game
- Be well, save well and live well - with FanDuel Total Rewards your benefits are one highlight reel after another
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer and we believe, as one of our principal states, “We Are One Team!” We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, Veteran status, or another other characteristic protected by state, local or federal law. We believe FanDuel is strongest and best able to compete if all employees feel valued, respected, and included. We want our team to include diverse individuals because diversity of thought, diversity of perspectives, and diversity of experiences leads to better performance. Having a diverse and inclusive workforce is a core value that we believe makes FanDuel stronger and more competitive as One Team!