Director, People Operations
Who we are:
MasterClass is the streaming platform where the world’s best come together so anyone, anywhere, can access and be inspired by their knowledge and stories. We put you in the room with the creators, thinkers, makers and leaders who have changed the world, so that you can change yours.
Members get unprecedented access to 150+ instructors and classes across a wide variety of fields, including Arts & Entertainment, Business, Design & Style, Sports & Gaming, Writing and more. Step into Nas’ recording studio and Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen, and go behind the big screen with James Cameron. Design your career with Elaine Welteroth, get ready to win with Lewis Hamilton, perfect your pitch with Shonda Rhimes and discover your inner negotiator with Chris Voss.
It's a pivotal time for MasterClass – and we want you to be a part of the journey. With a HQ in San Francisco, and offices in Waterloo, Ontario, and Beverly Hills, CA, we are looking to expand our teams to support the business.
If you want to help make an impact on our members' lives – we want to hear from you!
Snapshot of the Role:
We are looking for a leader with a demonstrated experience of excellence in systems, infrastructure, and processes within a lean startup environment, with a track record of building strategic and analytical capabilities and motivating a team in alignment with our mission, values, and behaviors
What You Will Do:
- DRIVER OF OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCY: Responsible for continuous improvement of onboarding, off-boarding and other employee lifecycle processes in a way that uses self-service, automation, and technology in collaboration with our HRIS. Lead the People team’s efforts to use AI to drive efficiency on administrative tasks, enabling more effective human interaction.
- LEADER OF COMPENSATION PROGRAM: Lead total rewards strategy and execution, including benefits, cash compensation, equity, and people recognition programs. Implement ongoing analytics to ensure market-competitive compensation practices meet company financial requirements.
- DEVELOPER OF PEOPLE: Create plans to develop the careers of the People Ops team members based on their individual strengths, experience gaps, and career aspirations.
- MANAGER OF COLLABORATIVE RELATIONSHIPS: Collaborate with external partners who provide solutions across HRIS, compensation, payroll, 401K, and benefits. Work transparently and positively with all internal stakeholders, including other People team leaders, Legal, Finance, IT and others.
- COMPREHENSIVE OWNER OF COMPLIANCE: Evaluate and maintain accurate information management and filing systems to ensure compliance with records retention. Ensure compliance with all federal/state/local employment laws and regulations.
- POLICY DEVELOPER, PRIORITIZER, AND COMMUNICATOR: Develop, communicate, and support all policies that impact people, including but not limited to compensation, benefits/leaves, compliance, and required training. Support with ad hoc projects that impact the people's experience, including but not limited to culture surveys, compensation analysis, collaborative people initiatives, and company events.
About You (Requirements)
- You have been a successful leader of People Operations in a start-up environment.
- You have deep expertise in Compensation design and administration and can lead it at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- You have a track record of leading a highly regarded team known for responsiveness and proactivity.
- Your early career exposed you to a variety of business models and approaches that helped you be a nimble problem solver.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.
The salary range listed is for NYC/CA/WA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location where the position may be filled.
MasterClass’s salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry. In addition to salary, we also offer equity and comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, flexible PTO, and more). The range listed is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.