Senior Product Manager, Growth Engagement (Remote)
Product, Sales & Business Development
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
Our subscription business has grown rapidly over the past few years, driven by our investment in high quality content and an enthusiastic user base. We are looking for a product manager to help us take the business to the next level, unlocking new engagement levers and driving significant improvements to existing ones like push and email. With a primary goal of driving more sessions to our core product, you will help us focus our resources on the most important initiatives and foster a culture of experimentation and iteration. You will work closely with cross-functional teams, including editorial, design, engineering, analytics, and marketing, to define and implement innovative engagement mechanisms that cater to the specific needs and interests of our sports-loving subscribers. This role sits within the Growth team.
- Participate in the development of our engagement strategy across multiple channels and teams, in close partnership with a cross-functional group including CRM, Integrated Marketing, Performance Marketing, and Audience.
- Foster a highly collaborative cross-functional environment focused on shared metrics and objectives.
- Identify opportunities to improve the user journey to drive registered user and subscriber engagement, and prioritize key metrics and hypotheses to make sure we are focused on the right things.
- Develop and execute on a product roadmap for engagement initiatives in collaboration with Growth, Design, Engineering, and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the growth and analytics teams to develop and implement subscriber engagement strategies, leveraging user insights, segmentation, and lifecycle analysis to reduce churn.
- Lead experimentation across the team, establishing best practices for evaluating experiments and incorporating learnings.
- Partner with team members to better understand our users and subscribers, both through user research and quantitative analysis.
- Communicate strategy and results to internal stakeholders, from leading meetings with executives to presenting to our entire Headquarters team.
- Understand the competitive environment and stay on top of great user experiences, especially with subscription media products.
- 4+ years of relevant product management experience at a fast-growing consumer company (subscription business is a big plus).
- B2C experience is highly preferable, but will consider B2B.
- Strong understanding of user engagement strategies.
- Familiarity with sports media landscape, including trends, fan behavior, and content consumption patterns as well as subscription-based business models is a plus.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience running and analyzing A/B experiments, and incorporating learnings into subsequent experiments.
- Comfort with data - analyzing data, deriving insights, and making data-driven decisions.
- Experience developing great user experiences, and an ability to empathize with users.
- Eagerness to try new things and learn - and a willingness to fail.
The annual base salary range for this role is $145,000 - $155,000 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.