Campaign Manager, Advertising Operations (Remote)
Marketing & Communications, Operations
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About The Role
The Campaign Manager coordinates the creative, trafficking, reporting, and billing needs between The Athletic and clients. Additionally, you will produce our premium advertising products using pre-designed templates in Google Ad Manager. This position requires excellent organizational skills along with the ability to manage critical follow-up on a wide variety of issues.
The candidate must be a detail-oriented, self-motivated individual able to work effectively within a team environment. They must possess the ability to manage significant volumes of digital and audio campaign details and issues while remaining organized and highly responsive to internal and external client needs.
Ad Operations interfaces daily with Sales, Sales Planning, clients, and product/platform teams; candidates must possess excellent communication skills as well as familiarity with the technical aspects of online advertising.
This role will be remote for candidates in the US or Canada.
Responsibilities and Key Areas of Accountability
- Partner with Sales, Planning and all internal cross-functional stakeholders to lead the post-sale process, which includes: launching, monitoring, troubleshooting and fully delivering deals across various transaction channels for multiple advertisers.
- Ensure the accuracy of advertising contracts that bridge from our planning team to our contract management system.
- Manage receipt, testing, and any required technical adjustment of creative in time for a campaign launch.
- Lead all daily production responsibilities on schedule and with high client satisfaction, including but not limited to, leading kick off calls with advertising clients and our Sales team, communicating creative specifications, managing timelines, coordinating production with Campaign Management to meet deployment of campaign requirements and flight starts.
- Use HTML and CSS to build The Athletic and NYT proprietary responsive ad products
- Remotely monitor high impact campaign launches; troubleshoot site-impacting campaign issues during off-hours when necessary.
- Monitor campaign pacing on a daily basis to identify and address campaigns in need of optimization as well as delivery anomalies.
- Identify placements in need of reallocation and address requested reallocations and makegoods.
- Pull and upload 3rd party delivery when required; identify and investigate 3rd party discrepancies as necessary.
- Provide campaign screenshots within 24 business hours of launch, in agency/client templates if required.
- Send out in-campaign reporting on request and final reporting within five days of a campaign end date.
- Gather and report on advanced campaign metrics where applicable.
- Investigate and address billing issues and disputes.
- Proactively schedule and run periodic campaign status update meetings with planners and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Sales on the campaign management strategy for select categories.
- Contribute to category and departmental goals and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 1-2 years of digital media and/or advertising experience a plus.
- Strong interest in digital and audio advertising and familiarity with the digital and audio landscape.
- Team player with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to adhere to speed, accuracy, and responsiveness thresholds in a highly organized manner.
- Experience managing multiple competing priorities, duties and projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience using Firebug, Charles, and other troubleshooting plug-ins is a plus.
- Experience trafficking to mobile and video environments is a plus.
- Experience using Order Management Systems and Ad Servers such as GAM, Megaphone, and LiveIntent is a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and aptitude to learn new systems.
- Demonstrable record of professional written and verbal communication skills and comfort level with client communication.
The annual base salary range for this role is $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.