Software Engineer - Infrastructure (Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Saturday, September 9, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
Our Infrastructure team is responsible for building internal tools and services to improve our product availability and our Engineering productivity. Engineers in this team are passionate about performance, delivery and metrics. As a full stack engineer, you will collaborate closely with multiple product, engineering and design teams to help develop and improve our internal tools and services. You’ll be implementing new features using our tech stack (React, Wordpress, Apollo GraphQL, SQL) and help define our architecture to ensure we scale at the right time. We have lots of fresh ideas and are excited for you to join us to help us build the best sports media app in the world.
- Develop new features based on specifications, ensuring to always optimize for scalability and performance.
- Contribute to and engage in our scrum process through sprint planning, review, retrospectives and daily standups.
- Understand the technical requirements of new requests and work with other engineers to ensure the end result matches expectations of building a world class product.
- Fix live bugs and triage the issue with company peers so the root cause can be identified. We can patch live issues but we always go back to fix the bigger problem.
- Validate the quality of your work through manual and automated testing. We believe engineers own their code throughout the whole lifecycle of development until it’s live, giving them visibility and ownership over their work.
- 2+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- All of our code is hosted on AWS, using Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, CloudWatch, Lambda, DynamoDB, RDS and Elasticache.
- We use Datadog for observability and monitoring, and Cloudflare for DNS and CDN.
- We have 2 primary tech stacks, one in React (Next.js) with an Apollo/GraphQL API layer, and one in PHP (Wordpress) with a REST API layer. MySQL database, ElasticSearch, and NoSQL database on the backend. Prior experience with any of the above is desired, but not required.
The annual base salary range for this role is $120,000.00 - $140,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.