Operations Manager - Engineering (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is seeking its first Operations Manager to improve our capability to deliver value to our users. This person will work to ensure the Technology Organization’s success, primarily by helping to align and coordinate dependencies to maximize our impact. This role supports our leadership team by helping them turn Strategy into an achievable roadmap for teams. They will enable our Product Development teams by working directly with Engineering Managers, Product Managers, and Design Leads.
This role will be remote for eligible candidates located in the United States or Canada.
- Works with Technology Management to create a delivery roadmap to realize our annual initiatives and priorities from leadership.
- Works with Technology Management to translate annual goals into KPIs and OKRs.
- Organizes and orchestrates features releases across all product teams to ensure consistent and predictable delivery to end users.
- Provides proactive visibility and effectively communicates delivery targets, commitments and progress.
- Manages and tracks cross-team dependencies, and works Engineering Managers to identify track and resolve blockers.
- Drive continuous improvement of cross-team processes to help teams collaborate effectively.
- Drive work systems configuration and best practices with input from cross-functional stakeholders.
- Identifies and prioritizes adoption of new tools to improve transparency, and automate workflows.
- Encourages a culture of transparency, trust, team-driven decision making and commitment.
- Where appropriate, coaches the teams to improve collaboration and outcomes (coaching is the primary responsibility of teams’ managers).
- Acts as a subject matter expert for teams in the areas of project management, agile practices, continuous improvement, and work systems.
- At least 2 years of experience working in the engineering organization of a product company using agile methodologies as an Operations Manager, Project Manager, Program Manager, or other Operations role.
- Experience using systems such as Jira and Confluence establishing workflows, dashboards, and notifications.
- Ability to integrate a project management system through automations, tools and/or scripting.
- Good general understanding of how large scale software systems are designed, built, tested, deployed and into the hands of customers.
- Strong understanding of delivery and go-to-market methods and metrics.
- Good general understanding of the role of product managers, product designers, engineers, quality assurance, devops and product marketers.
The annual base salary range for this role is $145,000.00 - $155,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.