Managing Editor, Global Video (Remote)
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking to become a global leader in sports video, and we are looking for an industry leader, creative and audience visionary to develop our video capabilities and shows across platforms. The Managing Editor, Global Video will have creative accountability for all The Athletic video, in addition to leading the North American and International video teams. This leader will be tasked with developing high quality video that fits The Athletic’s journalistic sensibility, that can also reach large and engaged audiences across social, YouTube and on-platform. Central to this creative success will be the leadership of our video teams globally, pushing their creative capabilities and creating a culture in which their teams can thrive.
- Manage the production and growth teams with regular check ins and manage the staff of the entire video department.
- Partner with leadership to set ambitious goals and manage the team effectively toward those goals, with wide latitude in how goals are accomplished.
- Understand where tradeoffs need to happen across shows and be proactive with solutions.
- Curate formats, shows, and hosts that will offer viewers a distinctive, high quality and entertaining experience and help drive commercial revenue.
- Build shows with a diverse set of hosts and guests.
- Think about properties as franchises, and come up with new ways to build audience/promote network growth.
- Partner with vertical leads across the newsroom to align with and complement our editorial strategy.
- Work with the Managing Editor of audio to develop an audio strategy around our video properties that serves as both a complement and a new platform to build original Athletic content.
- Work closely with the commercial team to monetize content and create strong, long lasting brand partnerships.
- Serve as the connective tissue between video production and the heads of all other departments within the company to ensure that the video team’s output is appropriately supported, promoted, and monetized.
- Develop meaningful relationships with leaders throughout HQ.
- Provide input into the organization of the production team to ensure the team is set up to achieve its ambitious growth targets while staying within budget.
- 10+ years of experience producing video for online platforms, including live-action shoots.
- A track record when it comes to launching and sustaining successful video series.
- Expert knowledge of a wide range of video formats and distribution channels. Has a finger on the pulse of industry trends and can see ahead 12-18 months.
- Deep and intimate understanding of how online video algorithms work, with an exceptional ability to crack these algorithms and make videos go viral across YouTube, TikTok and social.
- Extensive programming experience and demonstrable knowledge of video platforms best practice, such as optimizing video titles, descriptions, hashtags and thumbnails.
- A master of video analytics, with an ability to explain why a video did or didn’t perform well.
- Has a deep understanding of sports with a fluency in how topics are covered and discussed by fans. Has an eye for high quality creative output that resonates with listeners.
- Experience working on commercial projects, e.g. branded content
- Is an excellent leader who enjoys facilitating the personal development of colleagues.
- Self-starter with great time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized.
- Ability to execute in the short term while planning long term.
- Ability to make difficult decisions for the good of the business.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This is a remote-based position in the United States, United Kingdom or Canada that may require some travel.
The annual base salary range for this role is $150,000.00 - $180,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.