Software Engineer, Full Stack (Australia)
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We are looking to expand our scores and stats engineering team. We recently revamped our game scores, schedules, standings, rosters and players stats pages, and want to continue investing in our games experience with more data and new features.
This role is remote for eligible candidates located in Australia only.
- Work with Design and Product teams to build a web UI that is beautiful, performant, and well-engineered.
- Architect and build the backend/api layer to optimize for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Write unit and functional tests to ensure maximum code and app quality.
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other team members.
- Work with the team to influence technology direction.
- Ideate and suggest product improvements and features through a symbiotic relationship with Product team.
- Work within a highly cross-functional team, iterating on process and making your own suggestions for improvements.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or relevant discipline OR equivalent industry experience in lieu of a degree.
- We have 2 primary tech stacks, one in React (Next.js) with an Apollo/GraphQL API layer, and one in PHP (Wordpress) with a REST API layer. MySQL database, ElasticSearch, and DynamoDB on the backend. All hosted on AWS. Prior experience with any of the above is desired, but not required.
The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.