Contract Email Marketing Manager (London)
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is seeking a CRM Marketing Manager to join our team as a contractor as early as December 2023 and continuing through June 2024. This role will be coverage for an employee going on leave and will require a minimum attendance in office 2 days / week.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing strategies and executing high-impact programs primarily for our UK and International markets to to convert, engage and retain subscribers throughout their lifecycle. The ideal candidate is a customer-centric, data driven marketer with an entrepreneurial spirit and successful history developing impactful CRM programs that drive the business forward through optimization and experimentation.
- Ideate and lead the execution of programs that drive engagement from free users, boost subscription starts and conversions, increase subscriber sessions and win back churned users across email, newsletters, and in-app channels.
- Identify new opportunities for automation, personalization and more through journey building, audience segmentation, testing roadmaps (multivariate, A/B, etc.), developing benchmarks, and creating and sharing regular performance reports.
- Drive continuous improvement of business and team channel-specific KPIs, maintaining a clear project process plan and documenting best practices.
- Communicate proactively and clearly with business leaders and stakeholders about strategy, execution, and performance tracking to plan.
- Work cross-functionally with the UK and International marketing and product marketing teams on a range of projects from launching new features and campaigns to developing segments and personas that enable CRM to personalize the user journey.
- Assist in managing overall email list health and protecting domain reputation/deliverability across all email efforts.
- Partner with design to audit and ensure existing emails are optimized as well as build new and innovative templates for campaigns & workflows.
- Lead extensive and complex data-driven projects in partnership with product, engineering and analytics to ensure CRM has the proper mechanisms to effectively target our users through automated and triggered touchpoints.
- Collaborate with Analytics, Product, Marketing, Design, Data Science and Engineering on email strategy, execution, and testing as well as new omni-channel technical integrations.
- 2+ years experience planning, executing, and analyzing marketing automation campaigns, with a strong focus on email and newsletter marketing.
- B2C experience is highly preferable, but will consider B2B.
- Superior project management and communication skills with the ability to balance rigorous attention to detail with swift execution across a variety of initiatives.
- Proven experience in an email/CRM management function.
- Experience working with CRM platforms (Iterable, Braze, Sailthru, etc.).
- A self-starting attitude, on the lookout for opportunities to make an impact without needing to be asked and the confidence to make data-driven recommendations and decisions.
- Strong analytical skills; able to create impactful marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Experience with A/B testing, messaging, and post-campaign analysis.
- Working knowledge of HTML.
- Interest in sports and media is a plus, but is not required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- This job will require a mix of in-office and remote work, where you'll need to be at our London, UK office for 2 days a week.
The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.