Senior Data Scientist (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We are looking for a senior data scientist who will bring and develop a deep understanding of our sportswriting, our in-game experience, and the way our subscribers use The Athletic to help us make our best-in-class product even better. In this role, you will work closely with our data, product, content programming, and engineering teams to develop advanced models that help us understand our business, optimize and automate our workflows, and help our product make smarter recommendations. As a member of our small data science team, your work will have a significant impact on all areas of data science at The Athletic, but your first project will involve using the latest NLP techniques to create new personalized product experiences for our users.
This role will be remote for candidates located in the US or Canada.
- Design, build, and implement mathematical models to drive key long-term product goals, like training a model that sorts our longform interviews into topics, or figuring out how to algorithmically condense a Sixers game into its most important moments.
- Lead projects with hands-on analysis and modeling, drawing from multiple analytical methods to choose the right tool and right level of complexity appropriate for the job.
- Use quantitative analysis to deeply understand what our users are saying, and to develop recommendations based on that analysis.
- Design and develop data science pipelines in production.
- Guide complex experiments.
- Cultivate an outstanding data science environment.
- 4-6 years of experience as a data scientist with a proven ability to apply scientific methods to solve real-world problems on web scale data.
- Strong working knowledge of a scripting language like R or Python and how to use it to train machine learning models and put them into production.
- A broad understanding of SQL with an ability to efficiently pull and write to our data warehouses.
- Demonstrated experience with natural language processing machine learning methods and how to apply them to large amounts of text data.
- Knowledge of statistical principles and how they apply to predictive modeling.
- Ability to drive projects with minimal guidance and prioritize high-impact work.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to build cross-functional relationships.
- Can explain sophisticated concepts to diverse audiences and craft compelling stories with data.
The annual base salary range for this role is $145,000.00 - $153,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.