Designer - Commercial (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic seeks a highly proactive Designer to join our growing commercial design team. As a Designer, you will play a central role partnering with world class consumer brands to deliver branded content and innovative interactive experiences on our site and app. You will also help execute those experiences and see them through to final delivery.
There’s ample opportunity here for a multifaceted designer that thrives in a blue-sky environment, and can balance thinking and making, and wishes to help define our company’s principles around sponsor-centric initiatives.
This role will remote for candidates currently residing in the United States or Canada.
- Pitch and present ideas to internal and external stakeholders.
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams, support the Interactive Art Director as well as partnering with Commercial, Product Managers and Engineers to take concepts from ideation to execution.
- Understand the competitive environment and stay on top of great user experiences, especially within sports media and journalism.
- Collaborate with all of the various design teams to both conceptualise and identify opportunities to bolster sponsorship strategy.
- Create user flows, storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, and production-ready design deliverables.
- Work with engineers to ensure design quality and consistency across the user experience.
- Support high-level product strategy, ensuring we're asking the right questions and solving for the most important internal and external user needs.
- 2 - 3 years of relevant design experience.
- Experience with collaboration and working on cross-functional teams.
- An outstanding portfolio which showcases a variety of bold, intuitive designs.
- Experience developing great user experiences.
- An eagerness to try new things, innovate and learn - and a willingness to learn from mistakes.
- Experience supporting the design process by creating user flows, wireframes, UI designs, motion, prototypes, and establishing/maintaining design systems.
- Experience seeing work through with engineers with a high standard of quality.
- Ability to manage your time across multiple workstreams.
- Excellent Figma, and prototyping skills.
- Expertise in designing for both web and native applications.
The annual base salary range for this role is $60,000.00 - $70,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.