Marketing & Communications
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company as we have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Melbourne.
About the Role
We are looking for a technically minded videographer to apply their skills in content production, editing and technical management. This role will support The Athletic’s video producers and editorial team to build and maintain our video podcasts. Our ideal candidate will have good experience in the video production industry and have expertise and a keen interest in technical equipment including cameras, lighting, microphones and editing software.
This will be a 1 year fixed term role.
This role will require a hybrid working schedule for candidates based in the London area. This role requires some weekend work (Sundays)
- Work closely with the sr. platforms manager on video podcast productions.
- Oversee the technical management of live-action shoots, including adjusting and focusing the cameras, live switching between guests during the show.
- Editing the episodes afterwards into a variety of formats, including full length, wide and shorter social clips in wide and square.
- Direct and oversee the technical management of livestreams with large audiences.
- Maintain, clean and manage our kit.
- Support the platforms team in uploading our videos to various distribution platforms.
- Assist the other video production teams with additional editing when required.
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent technical knowledge of relevant hardware and software.
- Experience using Premiere Pro/Photoshop.
- Outstanding editing skills.
- High level of professionalism; driven and motivated with excellent follow-up.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Creative and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A Strong understanding and passion for football. The role needs someone with a natural knowledge of the sport to know what segments will be good to edit and post.
- Desired but not essential: Broadcast journalism experience is desirable.
- Desired but not essential: experience in scheduling for Youtube & Twitter, with a firm grasp of good social copy and understanding of SEO for YouTube.
- Desired but not essential: Experience using Black Magic cameras/controllers.
The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.