Senior Executive Producer (New York)
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About This Role
We are looking for an experienced, creative and organized Senior Executive Producer based in the New York City metropolitan area to lead the editorial development of The Athletic NFL & NBA video properties. In this role you will work under the Deputy Head of Global Video to oversee editorial strategy and implementation for The Athletic’s live-action NFL & NBA videos.
This role will include producing, script writing, presenting, and working closely with The Athletic’s editorial team in a fast-paced environment to create video content for our channels. You will build a team of producer-editors to film, edit and upload, and you will direct all talent appearing or contributing to the creation of the videos.
This role is open for hybrid for the New York City office, as needed for filming and production.
- Oversee editorial strategy for the vertical.
- Identify and produce content that will resonate with our audiences, from the ideation process through to the publication.
- Responsible for identifying the correct stories, scripting and summarizing the stories appropriately, and producing high quality videos in a short time-frame.
- Responsible for managing a team of videographers.
- Responsible for managing freelancers to ensure the team is always appropriately staffed.
- Present videos where necessary, identify and acquire appropriate guests and contributors.
- Work as part of the global video team, assisting other team members with their projects, being available as an asset to your colleagues.
- Come up with creative ideas that you will research and produce independently and as part of the team.
- Work alongside the team to ensure that all content is released on time and to the required design standards.
- Work closely with the newsroom, collaborating with key stakeholders to ensure internal procedures and best practices are being adhered to.
- 8+ years experience in broadcast journalism (will consider relevant, equivalent professional experience).
- Excellent line management and leadership capabilities.
- Understanding of what is newsworthy.
- Understanding of how news processes work (rights of reply, what needs legalling, balance of information, sourcing).
- Ability to ingest, consolidate, contextualize and communicate complicated information.
- Excellent management and presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of football, basketball, and news.
- Ability to manage high profile journalists under extreme time pressure.
- Strong video editing skills highly desirable.
- High level of professionalism; driven and motivated with excellent follow-up.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Creative and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends if needed.
- The position is a mixture of remote and on-site in the New York City office, as needed for filming and production.
The annual base salary range for this role is $100,000.00 - $120,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 12 paid holidays, 15 days of accrued vacation to start, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
Beware of fraudulent job recruiting schemes! Our recruiters use email@example.com exclusively. We do not conduct interviews via text or instant message and we do not ask candidates to download software, to purchase equipment through us, or to provide sensitive personally identifiable information, such as bank accounts or social security numbers. If you have been contacted by someone claiming to be a recruiter with The Athletic but operating from a different email address about a job offer, please report it as potential job fraud to the law enforcement and to firstname.lastname@example.org.