Staff Writer, Golf (Remote)
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking for an energetic, versatile and resourceful reporter with golf
experience who excels at telling unique and differentiating stories across multiple formats. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of the sport, the ability to provide conversation-leading analysis, and possess a robust list of sources and contacts.
This is a remote position based in the United States or Canada.
- Contribute compelling content to multiple digital platforms, including written, audio, video, newsletters, and social media.
- Cultivate and maintain strong sources to break, confirm, advance and analyze news.
- Clean, skilled writing in long-, medium- and short-form formats.
- Tell rich, ambitious stories reflecting deep reporting and access.
- Balance mid- and long-term projects while reacting to the daily news cycle.
- Delve into trends in and around the game.
- Utilize a creative approach to story ideation and formats.
- Generate executable story and project ideas across multiple platforms.
- Thoroughly understand the sport on and off the course, including the recreational and business sides of the game.
- Provide live analysis, especially for major tournaments.
- Maintain a strong voice that stands out from competitors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and share information.
- 2+ years of writing about golf for a major media outlet.
- Audio and video experience an asset.
- Relationships within the competitive and business worlds of golf.
- Demonstrated ability to react quickly and authoritatively to news and developments.
- Professional or amateur playing experience a plus.
- This is a remote position based in the United States or Canada.
The annual base salary range for this role is $68,000.00 - $80,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 12 paid holidays, 15 days of accrued vacation to start, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
Beware of fraudulent job recruiting schemes! Our recruiters use email@example.com exclusively. We do not conduct interviews via text or instant message and we do not ask candidates to download software, to purchase equipment through us, or to provide sensitive personally identifiable information, such as bank accounts or social security numbers. If you have been contacted by someone claiming to be a recruiter with The Athletic but operating from a different email address about a job offer, please report it as potential job fraud to the law enforcement and to firstname.lastname@example.org.