Staff Editor, Newsletters (Remote)
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is seeking a Staff Editor for our expanding newsletter operation. This is a hands-on role in a fast-paced environment contributing to a multitude of newsletter edit teams while working with our CRM team and a range of newsletter writers and editors across the organization to optimize results. This editor will be using data analytics to enhance performance, and partner across the editorial organization and business teams on a range of initiatives in this growing space.
This role will be remote for candidates located in the United States or Canada only.
- Work as an editor on the portfolio of The Athletic newsletters in collaboration with the CRM (customer relationship management) and commercial teams.
- Line edit various The Athletic newsletters daily in coordination with sport vertical editors.
- Work with talent and edit staff to create distinctive, compelling, and authentic voices for all newsletter products.
- Maintain an excellent eye in picking out and designing compelling photos, visual assets, and moving images.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of key success metrics and crucial audience growth data, both for the newsletters and The Athletic site as a whole.
- Edit and publish newsletters via Iterable and digital executions of the newsletter via WordPress.
- Work with CRM and commercial teams to make sure all advertising executions and promotional copy across our suite of newsletters are delivered according to schedule.
- Routinely deliver new ideas for editorial executions across all newsletters.
- 2+ years of journalism experience at the professional level, some newsletter experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to edit accurately and quickly at a high level.
- A strong fluency with most professional and amateur sports played in North America, with interest in international soccer preferred.
- Be a great teammate, effective communicator, and extremely reliable.
- This role will include evening work and potentially some early mornings, as well as weekends.
- This is a remote-based position in the United States or Canada.
The annual base salary range for this role is $55,000.00 - $65,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 12 paid holidays, 15 days of accrued vacation to start, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
Beware of fraudulent job recruiting schemes! Our recruiters use firstname.lastname@example.org exclusively. We do not conduct interviews via text or instant message and we do not ask candidates to download software, to purchase equipment through us, or to provide sensitive personally identifiable information, such as bank accounts or social security numbers. If you have been contacted by someone claiming to be a recruiter with The Athletic but operating from a different email address about a job offer, please report it as potential job fraud to the law enforcement and to email@example.com.