Staff Backend Engineer
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2024
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
Tonal is looking for a passionate backend developer to work cross-functionally with product, engineering, and design, and play a critical role in building the platform that powers the world’s most intelligent personal trainer. You will be given the opportunity to solve challenging problems in the development of software for a unique consumer fitness product. You are entrepreneurial, thrive in a fast-paced, agile environment, and execute at an A-level. Like us, you value clean, fast, high-performing, and maintainable software.
What You Will Do
- Own the development of major software projects for our backend services. These services drive everything in our platform from personalized workout recommendations to dynamic media generation and distribution, and analytics based on the largest and most advanced fitness data set in the world
- Collaborate with our tightly integrated software, hardware and content teams to continually evolve a unique, consumer-oriented fitness product
- Work closely with product team to clarify requirements and develop designs for new features
- Implement, test, deploy and monitor software for our cloud-based backend microservices
- Write and review clean, secure and testable code with a focus on maintainability, scalability and performance
- Develop and support cloud-based big data pipelines
- Use analytics to understand product behavior and motivate data-driven decisions
- Mentor and share your broad knowledge with more junior engineers
Who You Are
- A self-driven backend engineer, with experience owning software projects end-to-end and a desire to work in a fast-paced, iterative, and collaborative environment.
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Track record of solving problems end-to-end with little-to-no oversight
- Extensive experience with distributed systems, microservices architecture, cloud platforms (AWS, Azure or GCP) and RESTful APIs
- Expertise in server-side software development in Golang (or other languages, e.g. Rust, C++, C#, Java, Python)
- Strong understanding of database design and modeling (e.g., PostgreSQL)
- Excellent communicator with the ability to work collaboratively and cohesively in a cross-functional team
- Experience with data-intensive applications, big data pipelines and analytics, having used tools such as Snowflake, DataBricks, Amplitude and Looker
- Experience with Kubernetes, Helm, Docker, ArgoCD
- Experience with Postgres, Redis, Kafka, Airflow
- Experience with Android development, Flutter, Kotlin
- Experience with Swift/SwiftUIExperience working with remote teams
- Experience integrating with Stripe, OneSignal
- Interest in the fitness industry
The range of base salary for the position is between $159,000 - $199,000 USD plus equity and benefits. We take into consideration an individual’s background, experience, and location in determining their salary. This role is also eligible for health insurance, retirement savings benefits, life insurance and disability benefits, flexible paid time off, parental leave, and other additional benefits.
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.